BBQ for Dewey
The coalition to defend Dewey just finished up a very successful BBQ at Dewey Academy that brought out over 75 students, staff, parents, and community supporters of Dewey. Check out the pics. Be sure to not miss the video linked below. As always, for up to date info and more media, check out our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/stopgentrificationousd.
******* Click here to check out the dope student-produced video! *******
We need to build a movement to keep OUSD and the developers’ hands off Dewey. That means we need all the support we can get. Here are a couple ways you can help us:
1. Come tomorrow, Friday 8/1, and help us Crash the Developer’s Meeting! We’ll be meeting at 1000 Broadway at 10:30AM. Check the flyer here. Click on the images to get the PDF for printing.
2. Sign our petition here: http://www.change.org/petitions/oakland-unified-school-district-and-the-city-council-hands-off-dewey-students-before-profits-and-meaningful-community-engagement
3. Share the struggle. Tell folks to like our Facebook page to get updates and show support: https://www.facebook.com/stopgentrificationousd. And share our hashtags too: #handsoffdewey #schoolsnotcondos #educationnotgentrification #rescindtherfq
4. Email board members. Here is a simple guide to help you write a quick email:
Easy Guide to Emailing School Board Members
Key Points: Don’t Demolish Dewey! Rescind the RFQ!
- Open a fresh email.
- SUBJECT LINE: Choose one from the list below, or write your own beginning with Don’t Demolish Dewey, then copy and paste into “Subject:”
- SEND TO: Copy and paste all of the email addresses below into “Recipients:”
- Don’t Demolish Dewey! Rescind the RFQ! – Dewey Students Cannot Be Moved — Even for One Year!
- Don’t Demolish Dewey! Rescind the RFQ! – Selling Schools Is Not a Source of Funds!
- Don’t Demolish Dewey! Rescind the RFQ! – Public Land Should Stay Public!
firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
- YOUR MESSAGE: Copy and paste one of the suggested messages below into the body of your email, or write a brief message of your own, and press SEND:
Don’t Demolish Dewey! Rescind the RFQ! Dewey should not be moved because Dewey students are already at-risk. Moving their school, even for just one year, definitely raises the likelihood of them dropping out. Any other location would be unsafe for Dewey students. Dewey was just moved a decade ago and it was intentionally moved near Lake Merritt because it’s gang-neutral territory. Students have said this location is the safest place for them. Moreover, Dewey students as at-risk youth of color in Oakland, are always being under-supported and not prioritized. You of all people should not be thinking of demolishing Dewey.
Don’t Demolish Dewey! Rescind the RFQ! There are much better sources of funds than gentrifying Oakland and demolishing active, thriving public schools. We should cut managerial administrative positions and salaries instead. In 2012-13 (the most recent year with sufficient data), OUSD had 2x the administrators than Fremont, the next closest sized district in Alameda County. If we had the same amount of administrators we would save $13 million. And OUSD officials and Board members should start a campaign that developers, Kaiser, the Port, Google, and other Oakland and Bay Area corporations be taxed to fully support quality public education.