Looking for right answer to the question you searched for? Make sure to check below for the same:
Revised Biology Questions & Answers
Q. Which of the following are characteristics of a keystone species?
- Their presence dictates the survival of the entire community
- They evoke a strong emotional response in people.
- They have a very large population.
- None of the above
ANSWER: 3. Their presence dictates the survival of the entire community.
Check Recently Added Questions & Answers on Biology
- Which of the following is not an essential characteristic of a keystone species?
- Which of the Following Compete for Space on Intertidal Rocks?
- What dramatically changes when starfish are removed from the simulated system?
ANSWER IN DETAIL
According to Chegg, When the activity of a species determines community structure in spite of their low abundance or biomass, that species is called a keystone species. Keystone species play a key role in controlling the relative abundance of other species. The loss of a keystone species can lead to a sharp population drop & extinction of other species as well that depend on it for certain services & causes serious disruption in the functioning of the community.
From this, we can conclude that option 2 & option 3 cannot be the answers. So, option 1, their presence dictates the survival of the entire community is considered to be the characteristics of a keystone species.
Feel FREE to bookmark below image ->
Hope you find the right answer!