Looking for right answer to the question you searched for? Make sure to check below for the same:
Revised English Questions & Answers for the year 2020
Why does Carson McCullers use the term malady to describe American loneliness?
- To illustrate that Americans are nonconformists and, therefore, suffer from loneliness
- To highlight that those Americans who are lonely are ignorant of positive American features
- To compare loneliness to an undesirable illness or disease that is difficult to cure
- To suggest Americans feel loneliness as a positive emotion that aids development
- To show that Europeans, unlike Americans, have cured rampant loneliness
ANSWER: 3.To compare loneliness to an undesirable illness or disease that is difficult to cure
Check Recently Added Questions & Answers on English Subject
- Which themes are common in Carson McCullers’s works?
- Since the rise of his designs, Frank Lloyd Wright _______ an icon of modern architecture.
- It may be said that great literature embraces ambiguity because
- The most important difference between an outline and a finished piece of writing is the
ANSWER IN DETAIL
She observes loneliness as a distinctive disease. The literal meaning of malady is a disease. Another question that people have in mind is if the disease is curable? The answer to this is difficult but very simple once understood.
Most of the authors, while writing about the social qualities that they observe around them, see the issue as something that’s strangling the people around.
Carson McCullers had written, “The Heart is A Lonely Hunter” in the year 1940. This was just before the year 1941 when America was about to enter WWII & was the time when America had come out of the depression, and also the worst recorded scenario in the history of America since it has become a nation.
This was a good reason that indicated that people had been suffering from isolation and loneliness and this was slowly becoming a huge problem. This feeling had been also observed in American Foreign policy until Pearl Harbor. Most of the people didn’t want to get involved and the term used for this was isolation.
One can observe several studies online that state that during the times of WWI and WWII, the number of marriages had declined. And then slowly in the year 1950, there was a sharp peak observed.
This peak was the highest in the history of America since the time this tracking was done. This is being stated for showing that McCullers had thought that that the hardships in life are sometimes responsible for molding our attitude towards each other.
Loneliness is being termed as difficult as for curing as the number of people suffering from it was on the rise. People couldn’t accept the feeling of being alone as their own. There was a constant need for somebody that can make them feel good and give reassurance.
Feel FREE to Save below image->
Hope you find the answer!